This ad is expired.
Assistant Dean of Human Resources & Administration, Haas (0547U) 29362
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Assistant Dean of Human Resources & Administration reports directly to the Senior Assistant Dean, Chief Strategy & Operating Officer and is a member of the school's senior leadership team. The Assistant Dean of Human Resources & Administration is responsible for managing the academic and staff human resources and administrative services of the school, including business contracts, staff human resources, academic human resources, faculty administrative support and events management. The role requires significant partnership with the Associate Deans of Academic Affairs, the Senior Assistant Dean of Instruction, other school leaders, the central HR office, and Berkeley Regional Services. The position oversees the Academic HR, Staff HR, Faculty support, and Events & Space Management teams. Additionally, this role manages a professional staff, composed of individuals in various fields and assumes accountability for decisions made by subordinates. This person will perform long and short term planning for the function and erroneous decisions or failure to achieve goals can result in additional costs, personnel challenges, and serious delays in overall schedules.
Application Review Date
Application review will begin in early February.
Manages, plans and administers individually and through subordinates administrative operations of the Haas School of Business, including, instructional/faculty support, budget, business contracts, events and both staff and academic human resources.
- Develops and monitors, staff FTE, human resources and space planning. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets.
- Develops and implements processes for staff planning and manages Permanent Resource Tracking for budget.
- Participates on space planning committee and coordinates policies.
- Directs legal support services for business contracts, events, external vendors, etc, and employee legal actions ensuring compliance with UC policies and procedures.
- Oversees analysis and policy development for issues and processes.
- Represents the department to campus resources (Berkeley Regional Services, Campus Shared Services, Central Campus Human Resources and Academic Personnel Office.
- Oversee processes related to workplace injuries and accommodations Partners with senior leadership to ensure conditions that support diversity, equity and inclusion.
Manages staff in the Staff Human Resources unit responsible for recruitment and retention, compensation administration, labor/employee relations, organization development and training and development.
- Guides and advises Deans on human resources issues such as: School, campus and system-wide policies and procedures, salaries and classifications of positions, planning, analysis, labor and employee relations, organizational design, recommendation and decision, performance management, recruitment of key personnel, and employee development and training.
- Interpret system-wide and campus human resources policies, collective bargaining agreements, procedures, and practices.
Manages staff in the Academic Affairs unit responsible for the following areas for academic employees: recruitment and retention, compensation administration, employee benefits, and records management.
- Provide oversight to processing academic personnel actions.
- Manage the Haas School's Faculty Excellence Program (FEP).
- Interpret system-wide and campus academic policies, collective bargaining agreements, procedures, and practices.
- Advises Chairs and Associate Deans on policy interpretation, recommendations for academic personnel.
Prepares short and long range planning for administrative services operations and improvements to processes. Establishes and recommends change to policies which affect the department.
- Makes recommendations for organizational change and restructuring, including guidelines for implementation and evaluation.
- Facilitate staff Personnel Committee which reviews and authorizes personnel actions and organization structure/impact.
- Develops and implements strategies to engage the haas community in ways that contribute to the mission and strategic vision of the School. This includes design of initiatives that address issues of inclusiveness, recognition and morale of staff and faculty.
Participates in career development.
- Work on special programs as assigned.
- Attend classes which will enhance expertise in job areas.
- Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further University service.
- Maintain knowledge of the HR & Admin unit business processes in order to provide back up to other support staff in the unit.
- Broad knowledge of applicable human resources laws and regulations.
- 3+ years of supervisory/management experience in Human Resources/administration roles.
- Skills to work collaboratively with other campus locations.
- Demonstrated management and conflict resolution skills to effectively lead and motivate others.
- Proven skills to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- Skills in organization and customer service to effectively manage multiple important priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to influence/persuade all levels of staff.
- Proven ability to organize department work functions in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ability to develop creative solutions which may have no precedent.
- Requires innovation, in-depth knowledge of campus and university policies and operational procedures.
- Strong decision making, analytical, problem solving, critical thinking and resource management skills.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Broad knowledge of campus processes, protocols and procedures in the areas of budget, personnel management of labor contract(s), and personnel policy.
- Broad knowledge of complex personnel, compensation and related policies and procedures for academic employees.
- Broad knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs.
- Related business experience preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that "every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive."
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=29362&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-34cacd590e8c1042b9a232aad1502904