This ad is expired.
Assistant Director, Human Resources
Salary: $78,612.00 - $86,664.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2021-00079
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Department: Human Resources
Closing: 5/2/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
Under the direction of the Vice President, Human Resources and Labor Relations, the Assistant Director, Human Resources assists in the management and supervision of the activities performed by the district human resources staff; manages temporary hourly employment transactions; participates in matters relating to equal employment opportunity, fair employment practices, labor relations and collective bargaining, legal requirements related to employment; and is responsible for data collection, preparation and submission of required federal and state reports.
The Assistant Director, Human Resources is expected to provide administrative oversight and leadership, support of department services, and ensure adherence with all regulatory policies and procedures, as well as policies and procedures of the District.
Incumbents in this position support student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by facilitating the day-to-day operations, policies, procedures, and processes required for District operation; thereby continuing institutional effectiveness by assuring accuracy, timeliness, and compliance with state and federal requirements.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Essential Functions & Qualifications
- Supervises and assists in the coordination of district employment-related activities to provide consistent application of practice and to ensure regulatory requirements are met;
- Provides day-to-day leadership and works with staff to ensure a high performance, customer- service oriented work environment the promotes a positive employee relations environment;
- May represent human resources on various planning and/or operations committees and task forces;
- Acts as Deputy Title IX Coordinator in the absence of the VPHR/Labor Relations including assisting with campus investigations which may include conducting investigations and writing reports;
- Prepares reports, resolutions, information items and other materials for the district Board of Trustees meetings;
- Coordinates institutional professional development in collaboration with the professional development committees;
- Reviews and processes requests for district records and information, including subpoenas; and provides other employment-related information;
- Directs and participates in the preparation and maintenance of a variety of records, reports and files related to employees, benefits, recruitment, compensations, job openings and assigned activities;
- Supports, implements, and promotes advancement of the district's equity goals and Equal Employment Opportunity Plan in all aspects of employment;
- Coordinates with District management and Fiscal Services to ensure accurate forecasting, coding, and reporting of payroll and human resources information;
- Participates in the annual development of program review and budget;
- Coordinates district activities related to employee benefits and workers compensation;
- Drafts board agenda items for review by the VPHR/Labor Relations;
- May act on behalf of the VPHR/Labor Relations in their absence;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in human resources or a closely related field from an accredited institution;
- Three years of demonstrated professional or administrative experience in the field of human resources.
- Supervisory experience;
- Experience with Ellucian database software or other similar integrated software systems;
- Experience implementing human resources related software systems, such as NEOGOV online application and applicant tracking systems.
- Principles, problems, and methods of administration in a public higher education institution, including organization, personnel, labor unions/labor relations, collective bargaining, and fiscal management;
- Classification, compensation and benefits analysis and administration procedures;
- Recruitment and selection techniques and procedures;
- Conflict resolution in an employment setting;
- Applicable state and federal employment and payroll related laws and regulations;
- The principles of effectively interacting with diverse students, staff, faculty, and administration;
- Effective supervisory principles and practices;
- Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software;
- Correct usage of English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary; and
- District policies and procedures.
- Direct and/or perform difficult and responsible technical work and objective data analysis; possess well-developed management, supervision, organizational and facilitation abilities;
- Effectively apply the principles, methods and techniques of human resources management, including the interpretation and application of legal provisions and requirements related to employment, EEO, and diversity;
- Motivates staff, students, faculty and administrators to promote a campus culture supportive of student equity and inclusion;
- Utilize effective conflict resolution skills in a diverse and dynamic employment setting;
- Effective gather, prepare and analyze statistical data;
- Effective train, supervise and evaluate staff;
- Utilize various computer software such as word processing, spreadsheets, and database programs (e.g. Word, Board Docs, Excel, Banner, NEOGOV, Dynamic Forms, Adobe Sign)
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties; and
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
Physical ability to:
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors;
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Lift and/or carry 15 pounds; and
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
License and Certificates
- Valid driver's license and eligible to obtain California driver's license upon hire.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Successful candidates will be required to submit all below documents when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
- Cover letter;
- Reference List (see instructions below);
- Unofficial transcripts; and
- Diversity statement (see instructions below).
Reference List Instructions: Your reference list must include three professional references, their contact information, and their relationship to you.
Diversity Statement Instructions: Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community.
In 500 words or less, with consideration to our Mission Statement and our values expressed above, please explain how you will demonstrate your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in this position.
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per our bargaining agreement, we can only place new employees at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. For a full salary schedule, please see our website: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
- Salary Schedule Range: $6,551 - $7,963 per month.
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,551 - $7,222 per month.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Cuesta College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9 to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. For further information, visit: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/Job_Opportunities.html
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview via Zoom on Tuesday, May 25, 2021.
Second interviews will be held via Zoom on Friday, May 28, 2021.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency