Controller, Wharton School
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Controller, Wharton School
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
As a leader within Wharton's financial team, the Controller will work with the School's Vice Dean and other senior leaders, including the Strategic Planning Group, HR, IT and Operations to dynamically impact the school, improve business processes and to strategically and continuously advance the school's finances and administration.
This role provides strategic leadership in areas including:
1) Financial/management accounting, analysis, and reporting: Integrity of the financial statements, constructive analysis of operating results, and development of sophisticated management reporting systems conducive to strategic decision making.
2) Business processes and systems: Institutionalization of a School-level focus on continuous streamlining and process/system enhancements for employment of best practice approaches.
3) Financial policies: Implementation of sound compliance management methods to ensure adherence to School and University policies and internal controls; development and effective communication of new policies/controls as appropriate.
4) Fund and cash management: Enforcement of spending restricted before unrestricted funds in all cases possible, maximization of indirect cost recovery rates, and review of and advice on new gift agreements.
5) Support of non-degree bearing, revenue generating units, including WRDS, Executive Education, Wharton Online, Wharton Interactive and Wharton Global Youth: Entrepreneurial work with the directors of these initiatives to create and maintain financial business processes that aid in maximizing revenue and impact, while serving the needs of both the groups and the School overall.
6) Other areas, such as international financial activity, serving as a liaison to Penn's Central Offices, tax compliance and UBIT reporting, etc.
Functionally, Wharton's finances are managed both directly through the Controller's team, as well as indirectly through the School's distributed network of Business Administrators. The Controller manages 18 staff members in the Wharton Financial Operations group, and also serves as a leader to approximately 60 Business Administrators.
Master's degree and 5 to 7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. MBA and/or CPA preferred. Experience in higher education a plus.
Must be a demonstrated leader and manager with a track record of resolving complex or complicated financial issues. Candidate will have experience with complicated revenue recognition as well as invoicing and accounts receivable experience.
Must have experience with GAAP and RCM, and an understanding of how to implement financial policies and controls across a decentralized environment.
Able to be a collaborative, team player. Must be comfortable with both the details as well as contributing to the financial strategy for the school.
Must have demonstrated decision making and problem solving abilities as well as excellent critical thinking, communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$88,861.00 - $168,837.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency