Director, DEIBJ Strategy and Inclusive Practices (4258U), University Development and Alumni Relations - 45341
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) builds Berkeley's excellence and character by strengthening relations with alumni, parents, and friends of the University, raising public awareness about Berkeley, and increasing private philanthropy. UDAR provides overall direction for the campus's alumni relations and fundraising strategies and works to strengthen unit development offices by partnering with campus advancement professionals. It handles a range of central activities and services, encompassing events, communications, stewardship, prospect development, gift management, database management, and more.
Following a nearly two-year Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging, and Justice (DEIBJ) initiative that involved consultants, listening sessions, working groups, and many feedback loops, UDAR has defined a strategic framework for the organization's future DEIBJ work and is seeking to bring someone on to the team to lead us in to the future. This leader will partner with staff throughout the division, and with the campus's community of DEIBJ practice, to bring the strategic framework to fruition. They will collaborate with advancement subject matter experts across the division to influence change in our practices, and with our talent management team to ensure that UDAR is an employer of choice in higher-education advancement. This position reports jointly to the Vice Chancellor - UDAR and the Associate Vice Chancellor, Advancement Operations.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 23, 2022
- Consults with organization managers and supervisors on diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and justice (DEIBJ) issues as they relate to UDAR's mission.
- Initially, this will focus on UDAR's strategic framework for DEIBJ and the 160 tactical recommendations made by our DEIBJ working groups.
- Assesses complex situations, identifies desired improvements, and collaborates with UDAR unit leaders and stakeholders to address issues and implement solutions in alignment with UDAR's strategic framework and culture commitments.
- Provides collaborative leadership and consultation, strategic planning, design and facilitation, and project management on complex problems to achieve strategically aligned solutions.
- Creates, manages, and applies DEIBJ learning and training development concepts to develop or acquire programs for UDAR leaders, managers, supervisors, and staff including tools, guides, and curriculum that support staff in creating learning and culture change opportunities aligned with the DEIBJ strategic framework and UDAR's culture commitments.
- May deliver organizational DEIBJ training sessions.
- Collaborate with UDAR's talent management team on integrating the DEIBJ working group recommended tactics into existing or new training offerings.
- Establishes a framework for measuring UDAR's performance against its DEIBJ objectives and tracks performance according to those objectives and the goals of the strategic framework.
- Performs complex, technical analysis to understand past performance and determine desired present and future performance and/or resource allocations to inform the development, implementation, and monitoring of specific DEIB programs and initiatives that will advance the strategic framework.
- Exercises wide judgment in selecting and developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining appropriate results and resolution of DEIBJ organizational effectiveness issues. Uses both qualitative and quantitative data to support and drive the development of systemic initiatives that advance the strategic framework.
- Recommends improvements in business processes to increase institutional effectiveness and attainment of UDAR's DEIBJ goals.
- Ensures that the campus's DEIBJ priorities are embedded in the division of UDAR.
- Serves as the DEIBJ leader for UDAR, including representing UDAR in the campus's community of practice and industry groups.
- Collaborates with the campus's DEIBJ community of practice, to amplify and promote best practices in diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and justice to help create career pathways and opportunities for career growth.
- Manages UDAR's ADA compliance plan. Consults relevant subject matter experts to ensure adherence to university and campus policies and practices.
- Works collaboratively and effectively with diverse groups and in multicultural settings to connect staff members with the campus offices that investigate and resolve grievances.
- May lead cross-functional teams to solve complex organizational issues.
- Minimum of three years of experience demonstrating advanced knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion, and accessibility programs while applying it to the completion of diverse diversity, equity, and inclusion organizational or cultural altering projects and programs.
- Demonstrates advanced judgment and technical experience in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and developing recommendations pertaining to DEIB programs and initiatives.
- Demonstrates advanced level of political and organizational acumen.
- Has in-depth knowledge of organizational policies and procedures; knowledge of DEIB functional area as it pertains to organizational development, change management, career development, talent management, and employee retention.
- Understands how work may impact other areas.
- Possesses advanced level skills required to gather, organize and perform analyses on diverse diversity, equity, and inclusion/accessibility programs and initiatives.
- Presents findings and makes recommendations that are significant to a department or unit, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Ability to influence, both verbally and in writing.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is exempt and paid monthly. The annual salary for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $82,400.00 - $122,000.00.
- For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
- This is a hybrid position, eligible for 60% remote capability.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source of "UCB Employee" and then enter the employee's Name and Berkeley email address in the Specific Referral Source field. Please enter only one name and email.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=45341&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency