HR Specialist, Sun Devil Athletics
Close Date: 05-September-2022
Salary Range: $42,500 - $49,500 per year; DOE
With minimal supervision from the Assistant Athletic Director for SDA Human Resources, the HR Specialist works with other HR staff to coordinate the human resource functions for Sun Devil Athletics (SDA). These functions include but are not limited to maintaining and retention of personnel files; payroll management; hiring and staffing coordination; human resource compliance; internal controls; and other functions. This position is the department's primary contact for the recruitment of part-time and student workers, as well as for non-exempt (hourly) payroll. The HR Specialist position adheres to NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations, as well as the policies and procedures of the department, the university and the Arizona Board of Regents.
- Works closely with SDA hiring managers, the Student Employment Office and/or central OHR to oversee and coordinate all human resource activities related to the hire of student workers and part-time staff members. Ensures adherence with SDA and university policies, practices and regulations.
- Assists with coordinating personnel searches, applicant screening/evaluation, and hiring.
- Processes actions in Kenexa Brassring (BR) and PeopleSoft (PS) related to new part-time hourly and student worker hires, including processing background and fingerprint checks.
- Processes a heavy volume of payroll transactions in PS as Department Time Administrator (DTA), performing all activities associated with payroll to ensure accurate and timely recording of hours and absences.
- Follows up with employees and supervisors to ensure payroll hours have been entered and approved in Department Time and Attendance Support (TAS) system appropriately.
- Works with part-time SDA HR Office Specialist to approve payroll by pay period deadlines.
- Processes a high volume of payroll transactions related to promotions, salary increases, terminations, and additional pays.
- Investigates payroll discrepancies and works as a liaison between SDA and OHR to reach a solution.
- Assists with coordinating internal and external audits; including but not limited to verification of approval levels, salary and pay rates, and written internal reconciliation process.
- Prepares audit documents and coordinates with Business Shared Services for departmental payroll reconciliation.
- Manages and tracks a large volume of onboarding paperwork for volunteers, as well as following up with volunteers and supervisors as necessary.
- Performs clerical functions with various applications for various human resources processes including form preparation, report preparation, correspondence and other related functions.
- Ensures completion of necessary paperwork and maintains personnel files consistent with University policies and procedures; this includes paperwork and files for tuition waiver/stipend recipients and volunteers in accordance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Assists SDA employees with benefits related questions.
- Under the direction of the Assistant Athletic Director for SDA HR, assists with gathering relevant materials and coordinating with central OHR to advise and assist staff in the handling of employee relations issues, complaints and/or grievances and determination of appropriate actions.
- May supervise, train and evaluate part-time staff, student workers and/or graduate assistants.
- Participates in a variety of SDA and university-wide initiatives and meetings to represent human resources interest and ensure integration/collaborative support of college and university wide interests.
- In support of universitys sustainability efforts, suggests, receives approval for, and implements electronic methods and processes designed to reduce the use of paper in the SDA HR Office.
- Informs SDA Staff and the public of University policies and procedures as they relate to SDA Human Resources.
- Prepares and sends forms through Adobe Sign.
- Performs other duties to ensure continual efficient operations of SDA to meet customer service needs.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two (2) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Management, or closely related field preferred.
- Prior experience working in a high volume, fast paced HR environment strongly preferred. [SDA HR supports 600+ employees]
- Previous experience hiring 30+ employees per month during peak season.
- Prior experience processing payroll timesheets and approving hours for 30+ employees strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU HR applications and systems: Kenexa Brassring, PeopleSoft, TAS, and Analytics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Adobe Sign.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Smartsheets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic human resource practices, regulations and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable federal, state and regulatory requirements, laws and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality customer service standards, methods and practices.
- Evidence of effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication.
- Skill in planning, analyzing and establishing priorities.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Experience in working effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities, sensitive/confidential information and short deadlines.
- Skill in developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships both within and across organizational areas.
- Ability to represent both the department and SDA Human Resources in a friendly, professional manner at all times.
- Ability to create workplace innovations to improve processes.
- Knowledge of collegiate athletics a plus.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing to perform essential functions.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
- May supervise student workers, part-time staff, and/or a graduate assistant.
- Schedule is Monday-Friday. May require extended hours to ensure continual efficient operations of SDA HR.
The Sun Devil Athletics (SDA) programs are elite, high profile Division I programs. By definition, Division I programs are the "best of the best" and the ladder by which athletes ascend to the world of professional sports and international competitions, such as the Olympics and World Cup. Moreover, Arizona State University and SDA compete in the PAC-12 conference. This conference is known for having won more NCAA national championships in team sports than any other conference in history.The vision of SDA is to be a comprehensive perennial top ten NCAA Division I athletics program that empowers Sun Devils to maximize human potential and make a positive impact on our university, community and the world.The mission of SDA is to provide opportunities for student-athletes to achieve at the highest levels of both academic and athletic excellence, thereby providing them with opportunities for personal growth, offering a unifying force to the campus community, and creating a source of pride among and support from the external constituencies of the university. SDA promotes identity, inclusion and expression to build a strong Sun Devil Community reflective of ASUs charter.SDA affirms ASUs commitment to equal employment and is fully committed to the principles of student-athlete welfare, institutional control, gender equity and inclusion, ethnic diversity, and sportsmanship. This commitment includes creating an environment where student-athletes contribute to a winning tradition while enhancing the campus and local community and competing in a program having integrity and high ethical standards. SDA is committed to a leadership role within the university, community, the Pac-12 Conference, and the nation.SDA is committed to recruit, retain and develop a gender equitable, inclusive and diversified workforce.ASU offers up to 24 hours of professional development opportunities per year and a competitive benefits package, which includes paid vacation and holidays, health insurance, free mental health resources, employee discounts and more. In particular, ASU offers a generous tuition discount for employees, their spouses, dependents and retirees. Working in SDA also provides unique access to sporting events and athletic-related discounts.For more information on ASU benefits, please visit http://cfo.asu.edu/hr-benefitsenrollment.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASUs Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance - For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
How to Apply
To view the full description and to apply, please click this link: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=4608034
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency