Human Resources Clerk (Confidential)
Salary: $4,297.00 - $5,396.00 Monthly
Job Type: Full time
Job Number: HR Clerk F-19
Closing: 2/16/2020 9:34 AM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Department: HR Clerk F-19
Division: Human Resources
- Job Duties
- Responsible for maintaining excellent customer service in the HR Office Reception area.
- Receives and screens telephone calls and inquiries, providing information and/or referring caller to appropriate individual(s) and/or organizational unit(s) for response.
- Greets visitors, staff or students in person, ascertains nature of business and provides standard information related to Human Resources and general information.
- Utilizes appropriate systems or resources as needed to assist visitors/employees with disabilities.
- Responsible for processing of temporary employees (e.g., short-term hourly, volunteers) and Board items related to their employment. Including referral, follow up, and clearance of their Live Scan fingerprints.
- Prepares reports, correspondence, notices, memoranda, spreadsheets, charts, forms, agendas, and other documents in support of employment, collective bargaining negotiations and related functions.
- Receives, handles, and files confidential and private information pertaining to the District and its employees, including employee evaluations, disciplinary actions, grievances, EEOC complaints, and information related to collective bargaining.
- Enters and maintains employee information in relational databases of human resources information (e.g., PeopleSoft, LACOE system, CalPERs Benefit system).
- Receives, processes, and distributes departmental mail.
- Researches, responds to, or refers employees' questions about personnel policies and procedures.
- Maintains and updates information for personnel and subject matter files, ensuring proper treatment of confidential information.
- Performs general data entry such as, but not limited to, updating of mailing lists used for recruiting, assembling data and information for surveys and reports.
- May train, coordinate, and review the work of temporary employees hired by the Department.
- Prepares and distributes position vacancy announcements. Creates for review and approval, vacancy advertisements to newspapers and periodicals. Posts position vacancies on web sites.
- Accepts and processes job applications for recruited positions. Examines application packages for completeness and required information. Enters data onto a computer-aided file for applicant tracking, ensuring up-to-date information on applicants and deleting outdated information.
- Responds to inquiries and conveys information about services provided by the Human Resources Department. Refers difficult or sensitive matters to the appropriate manager or administrator.
- May schedules appointments and arranges meetings. Prepares schedules and informs participants, confirming dates and times.
- May assist with assembling applications, supporting materials, and interview/rating forms for selection committees. May assist with communication with candidates on logistics for recruitment and selection processes.
- Provides employment and general information about the District to prospective job applicants. Responds by letter to inquiries of persons interested in employment, compiling and forwarding special request information (e.g., schedules, maps, etc.) as requested.
- Processes documents requiring knowledge of the special terminology, policies and procedures of department or area of specialized function such as contracts and vendor arrangements. Monitors budgets and contractual provisions.
- Assist HR personnel as directed.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of generally accepted Human Resources practices
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, ethnic and disability backgrounds of community college employees and students.
- Use of a personal computer for word processing, tabulating data on spreadsheets, desktop publishing, web updates, accessing and entering data onto relational databases, verifying numerical and demographic information, and entering information onto established data entry screens.
- Human relations/interpersonal skills to convey technical concepts to others, to deal with sensitive and confidential information, to give instructions, and to facilitate discussions with individuals via face to face, telephone or email communication.
- Math to compute sums, averages, ratios, products, and quotients.
- Language, grammar, and writing skills to prepare professional correspondence
- Use computer-based software programs that support this level of work, including but not limited to word processing, spreadsheet, presentation graphics, and specialized database software used in education
- Requires sufficient skill using the English language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, editing, to prepare original correspondence.
- Maintain up-to-date files and ensure security and confidentiality of information.
- Maintain productive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Exercise sensitivity and discretion in handling confidential/private information and materials.
- Function indoors in an office environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature.
- Sit, often for long periods of time, and move to campus locations on an occasional basis.
- Use visual acuity to read printed materials and microcomputer screen.
- Use hearing and speech to carry on conversations in person and over the phone.
- Retrieve work materials.
- Use manual and finger dexterity to write and keyboard at an acceptable rate and operate computer, and other office equipment, almost constantly requiring repetitive motions.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Supplemental Information
This position will close on February 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM (or when 176 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Provides complex clerical support to Human Resources functions. Provides support of certain aspects of employment, employee relations, record keeping, and reporting or other support, and serve as the primary contact for front office delivering excellent customer service. Assists and supports Human Resources operations as needed.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Human Resources Clerk requires knowledge of general human resources operations at coordinating various administrative aspects of Human Resources. Provides administrative support for office functions including word processing, researching files, answering phones and greeting the public. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality and independently carry out projects, coordinating information for reports to support the department activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position requires professional knowledge of:
This position requires the ability to:
The following required physical abilities may be met with or without reasonable accommodations.
May require a valid driver's license.
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month confidential position.
Hours of employment are Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
**Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas
Education and Experience
Requires a high school diploma or the equivalent, plus one year of post-secondary course work in Secretarial Science, Human Resources, or a related area and 2 years of progressively responsible experience in a customer service environment. Experience in Human Resources or closely related function is preferred.
Transcripts and Foreign Degrees
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position.
A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The web address is www.naces.org.
All qualifying educational degrees/training must be from regionally accredited colleges and/or universities.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date.
Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
Special document must be included to be considered. Please respond to the following statement: The Human Resources Department is committed to providing service excellence to our diverse Campus community. In 250 words or less, please describe your understanding of service excellence in a high traffic office setting.
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 22,500 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu
The Human Resources Department strives to provide quality customer service to the District's constituent groups by recruiting qualified individuals, retaining valuable employees, administering benefits, mitigating risk, providing a safe work environment, and issuing policies and procedures that promote equity, diversity, and inclusion. These services are achieved through team-work in a collaborative, respectful, and innovative environment.
The Human Resources Department is composed of three HR Technicians, one Staff Development Assistant, one Administrative Assistant, three temporary support staff, two Directors, and the Vice President of HR. We are looking for a seasoned HR professional who is able to embrace our commitment to excellent customer service and continuous personal and departmental improvement.Required Documents:
2 Recommendation Letter(s)
Copy of Transcripts
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/2654171/human-resources-clerk-confidential
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency