The newly established Materials Science in Extreme Environments University Research Alliance (MSEE URA) at the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) invites applications for a Program Manager. The MSEE URA is an alliance of 18 research institutions led by JHU working in close collaboration with the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA).
The research is focused on understanding, predicting, and controlling the behavior of materials in extreme conditions caused by weapons of mass destruction. The URA is expected to advance the types of materials that are capable of eliminating stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons while understanding and limiting the damage associated with nuclear blasts. The MSEE URA resides within the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (HEMI) located on the Homewood campus of JHU. Additional information on the MSEE URA is located at: https://hemi.jhu.edu/mseeura/
The Program Manager is a management position responsible for providing administrative, programmatic, and business leadership for the MSEE URA. The Program Manager will report directly to the MSEE URA Director, but will be supervised by the HEMI senior administrative manager
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall program management of the MSEE URA which includes program planning, budgeting, contracting, subawarding, and reporting. Ensures the MSEE URA is compliant with federal and university policies. Works closely with the DTRA funding agency in the execution of the MSEE cooperative agreement. Assists Principal Investigators for the successful completion of their projects on time and on budget. In conjunction with the Director's office, ensures master plans and schedules are followed, develops solutions to program challenges, collaborates and coordinates with subject matter experts and stakeholders within the university administration and across the divisions to conceive and implement multidisciplinary projects, works with the University's overarching structure, processes and procedures to accomplish multiple project objectives/deliverables and program objectives. Presents data at internal and external program meetings.
Major Event Planning.
- Responsible for the overall planning and execution of the MSEE URA technical reviews and other major events. Works closely with the HEMI staff and with DTRA staff in the execution of these major events.
Strategic Planning and Communications.
- Assists the MSEE Director to establish a science advisory board to help guide the MSEE URA. Supports the MSEE URA Director and JHU Federal Affairs in engagements with the Federal and State legislative activities for the MSEE URA. Assists in the coordination of URA member institutions for legislative activities. Works closely with the HEMI communications office to promote the MSEE URA, its accomplishments, and to provide greater external visibility. Develops persuasive and well-founded written materials to support these aims. Assists with developing and implementing overall business and marketing plans for the program that will inform long-term sustainable growth.
- Assists in building and managing partnerships with DoD labs, DOE Labs, other government agencies, and corporations; engaging the broader Johns Hopkins community in its research programs, collaborative programs, and education; and enhancing affiliations with DTRA leadership. Pursues additional research, educational, and workforce development opportunities for the MSEE URA.
- Provides assistance with proposal development, contract negotiation and contract compliance, as needed (proposal preparation may include assisting with plans, technical and financial terms of the RFPs). Acts as a point of contact for all grant related questions and coordinates meetings with collaborators as required
- Assists the MSEE Director and Associate Director in leading the URA. Works closely with core and matrixed staff members to ensure the successful execution of MSEE URA activities in coordination with HEMI activities. Responsible for identifying, promoting and building relationships between MSEE stakeholders within and outside Johns Hopkins, including corporate and community entities
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in related discipline.
- Five years related experience required.
Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. *
- Master's degree in relevant area preferred.
- Minimum of three years progressively responsible experience in administration in an academic or research environment.
- A strong background in grants and contracts, and financial experience are essential to this position.
- Data analysis skills, grant writing experience, and budget management experience are helpful. Leadership and/or management roles preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have excellent skills in computer programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe, and excellent presentation skills.
- Experience in SAP, Coeus, and other JHU financial management systems preferred.
- Will employ excellent use of oral and written English language
- Must be self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented
- Must be capable of working on many projects and tasks simultaneously, often with competing deadlines
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership
- Commitment to working collaboratively with the senior management team
- Must possess keen interpersonal skills.
Classified Title: Program Manager
Working Title: Program Manager
Starting Salary Range: $60,945 - $83,865 : Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm, Up to 37.5 hrs/ week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 60003526-Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Program-Manager-MD-21014/732498100/
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency